Sunday, January 18, 2015

Book Review: The Dive From Clausen's Pier

Title: The Dive From Clausen's Pier
Author: Ann Packer
Page Length: 432
Summary from Goodreads: How much do we owe the people we love? Is it a sign of strength or weakness to walk away from someone in need? These questions lie at the heart of Ann Packer’s intimate and emotionally thrilling new novel, which has won its author comparisons with Jane Hamilton and Sue Miller. 

At the age of twenty-three Carrie Bell has spent her entire life in Wisconsin, with the same best friend and the same dependable, easygoing, high school sweetheart. Now to her dismay she has begun to find this life suffocating and is considering leaving it–and Mike–behind. But when Mike is paralyzed in a diving accident, leaving seems unforgivable and yet more necessary than ever. The Dive from Clausen’s Pier animates this dilemma–and Carrie’s startling response to it–with the narrative assurance, exacting realism, and moral complexity we expect from the very best fiction.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really like the characters of this book. Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot I can say without giving too much away. Basically Carrie's fiancé has a horrible accident and she has to decide if she wants to stay by his side, or leave. I know I know, that sounds terrible, who leaves? But in her defense they had been having problems for awhile so that is why she is even considering it. 

The entire book is told through Carrie's eyes, all the emotions are hers. Normally when that happens I feel like you don't get a good grasp on other characters, but I was just as invested in the secondary characters lives as I was Carrie's. 

What disappointed me about the book was the ending, even though I liked it! To me, there was more to be developed. I would love if there was a sequel (I do not think there will be) because I still have so many questions about what happened to the rest of the characters! I guess I could write an epilogue in my head and finish it up to settle down all the voices in my head, but we will see. 

I would recommend this book, with the understanding it will leave you wanting more. not in the terrible horrible way Allegiant made you want more, but just more in general. 

No comments:

Post a Comment