Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Top 10 Books/Series I Want to Reread

So recently I came across the blog What a Nerd Girl Says & it is AWESOME. She has a ton of posts about all different things. Mostly book related, but also about tv shows, movies, etc. Have I mentioned I love it? Because I do. So one thing I noticed she does is a Tuesday Top 10. There is not much I like more than making lists, so I have decided to partake! 

This week I am doing Top 10 books/series I want to reread. There are multiple reasons I want to reread these books. Some are because the movies are coming out soon & I want to be sure to remember all the good details. Others are books I read as a kid that have stuck with me & I want to read them again & revert back to my childhood. Sadly, a few are books I have read semi-recently & just read too fast. I know how the books went but I tend to skip details because I want to know the whole story as fast as possible. I am guilty of being a day reader... meaning I am proud of the fact that I read whole books in a day, but then realize I went so fast I don't remember all the wonderful details that go into making it the whole story it is. 

After that lengthy intro, here is my Top 10 in no particular order.


1. The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot. I adored this series. My mom got me the first two of the series for my 12th or 13th birthday. After that, I was hooked! Could not stop reading them. It has been yearsss since I last read them, but I think I would still love them.


2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Such a wonderful series! I want to reread this series for the obvious, Mockingjay Part 1 hitting theaters soon! This puts me on a bit of a deadline, so it will need to be the first thing I reread. 


3. The School Story by Andrew Clements. I really don't remember when I first read this book. I was probably in elementary school, maybeee in middle. What I loved about it was it was the story of a young girl who wrote a novel and was trying to get it published. It was a very personal story & she had a BFF who absolutely 100% believed it needed to be read. At the time when I read this, I desperately wanted to grow up to be an author & this book inspired me tremendously. As I got older my dreams changed, but I still love this book.


4. Anything & Everything by Lurlene McDaniel. This is not an actual book, rather I really do mean any & all of her books. My older sister read her books first & eventually showed them to me. These books are so sad! Someone dies in almost every single one. Usually from cancer. Or some other horrible disease. & it is always kids or teenagers! So as a kid, you read these & are like omg that could be me. These books are probably the reasoning behind my for thinking I would die before I was 16. However, sadness aside, they are very good books and each story line would hook you in. 


5. Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard. I read these books in high school before the tv show came out. I can't remember exactly how far into the series I got, but it was pretty far & I enjoyed them. Then, when I was in college the show came out. I will be the first to admit I am a book snob. I have gotten better over the years, but I used to be super uppity about my books becoming tv shows or movies. I would refuse to see them (at first) & rant about how terrible they would end up being. However, I now watch & LOVE PLL the tv show. I would like to reread the series to see how much ended up being changed and things like that.


6. Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements. Without even trying or meaning to, two of Clement's books wound up on the list. Apparently, I really liked him as a child. This book was really interesting to young Colleen. It is the story of a young boy who wakes up one day invisible. Sounds awesome right? Until you have to convince your parents you haven't run away, you are actually right in front of them. & then not being able to tell anyone? Talk about torture. Over the years this book has stuck with me & I really want to read it soon & see if it still hooks me.


7. The Harry Potter Series by J.K Rowling. Oh how I love this series. It might be my absolute favorite. I loveee watching the movies & try to have a Harry Potter marathon at least once a year. But back to being a book snob, the books are a MILLION times better than the movies. There are just sooo many more details & even a ton of different characters you never get to know if you only watch the movies. I haven't read these books in years & definitely need to break them out soon!


8. 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. This was a great book. However, this falls into the category of "it was so wonderful I had to speed read & finish it in a day." So I know overall it was super wonderful, but now I want to go back & really focus in on the details that make up the wonderfulness. Side note, this book is also sad so if you are thinking of reading it for the first time, just be aware. 


9. The Shadow Children by Margaret Haddix. This is another series I loved growing up. I think I read it primarily in middle school & I don't think I ever finished all the books (there are 7). In this series, it is illegal for families to have more than two children. If you have a third child it has to die, or like in this series, the children have to stay hidden. Being the third child in my family I was fascinated with this concept. I know towards the end of my reading these it looked like a revolution might be coming so I would like to finish and see if all these kids ever get to come out of hiding. 


10. The Girl With the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts. Last on the list, but definitely not last to me. This is probably the first book I remember reading that made me think, "Woah! I am so happy to be a reader!" This is taken from a summary of the book, "Katie Welker is used to being alone. She would much rather read a book than deal with other people." Helloooo, that is still how I feel. This book made me realize it is okay to want to read all the time, & who cares if people thing you are weird. Also, spoiler alert! Katie has silver eyes which gives her telekinetic powers. Yes please, where do I sign up?

So there you have my Top 10 books/series to reread. Most are from my childhood but I feel confident I will still love them today. These books helped shaped my reading identity & I LOVE that I still love to read even in the crazy, chaotic life I lead now. 

3 comments:

  1. I totally added 2 books to my hold list at the library!! (Pretty Little Liars and 13 Reasons Why)

    ReplyDelete